Sunday, May 15, 2005

About The Not Bursting Into Flames Thing...

As you all have probably guessed, I did not burst into flames today despite the fact that I did enter a church and stay within it's walls for more than an hour. Yes, this surprised me as well. The sermon did however focus on Pentacost, so there was quite a lot of talk about flames leaping from the sky. I'm taking this as a warning to not go back.

It was also quite interesting to me that the man who led the sermon was in my confimation class when I was 13. He was a fantastic speaker. Hearing him made me feel rather unaccomplished. Sure, I've been around the world a couple times, but I haven't DONE anything. Aside from drink a lot, learn some stuff, and get in trouble.

Anyway, I remember him as being somewhat of a fuck-off, but apparently he got bitten by the Jesus-bug and is now spreading the good word in an amusing and amicable manner. If I weren't vehemently anti-organized religion I might have actually been tempted to go back.

7 Comments:

At May 16, 2005 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe this will convince you to go back. (open it in a new window)

 
At May 16, 2005 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve, should I be disturbed that you knew where to find that link?

 
At May 16, 2005 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found it via landoverbaptist.org ("Unsaved Unwelcome.") - they are both (slightly disturbing) parody sites. Besides, I'm sure it takes more than that to disturb you! :)

 
At May 16, 2005 5:13 PM, Blogger SuperKate said...

I used to love Landover Baptist. I haven't been on their site for years though. ;0)

Have you ever seen the Sister Rosetta site? They used to have the Jesus Dance. I dunno if they still do, but it was superb.

 
At May 16, 2005 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No I've been to the Sister Rosetta site. Might have to check it out.

 
At May 17, 2005 8:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Come back to us from the dark side, Kate. Ok, that's enough Star Wars references. Seriously, organized religions have done more to harm people than any other institution short of Nazi-ism.

 
At May 17, 2005 11:10 AM, Blogger SuperKate said...

While this has little to do with any of the previous conversation, I'd like to say that last night we nearly got thrown out of the wine bar when Travelin' Man loudly described an ugly woman as "George Bush with tits". It was beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home