Monday, July 04, 2005

Ghosts Of 4th's Past

I don't know that I've ever had a really spectacular 4th of July. When I was a kid, we always used to go up to Vail to see the parade and then watch the fireworks. More often than not, I was severely sunburned and miserable. When I was older, we sold the place in Vail, and they weren't allowed to do fireworks anymore anyway for fear of forrest fires.

My first 4th spent abroad was in Italy. It remains one of my favorites. I was staying at a hostel just down the hill from Assisi. I met an American couple (they had actually shown me the hostel) and we say outside on the patio drinking red wine and watching one of the most incredible sunsets I've ever seen while talking about our various adventures.

Last year was a strange and bittersweet 4th. It was my next to last day in Yemen. I had wanted to go to the party at the US Embassy but hadn't bothered to get a ticket in time. So I ended up at the British Club. I spent the evening drinking, smoking, laughing, and saying goodbye to people who had become my friends. There was even a bit of off-key Star Spangled Banner singing because when I'm drunk I don't care that I can't sing.

This year's 4th has already been interesting. After dinner, I smoked damn near 2 packs of cigarettes with my new-found smoker's circle. And I got a tour of Brown University from one od the kids. I've been invited to go see the fireworks with the smokers later this evening, but I think I've reached my quota for sociability for the day. We shall see.

Anyway, now that I've thoroughly bored everyone, I'm going to go take a shower so that I no longer smell like an ashtray (even though I like it).

For all the Americans in the audience, Happy 4th. For everyone else, I hope you've had a lovely day. :0)

4 Comments:

At July 04, 2005 6:32 PM, Blogger Presley Bennett said...

Happy Fourth!

 
At July 04, 2005 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 4th, SuperKate. :)

 
At July 04, 2005 11:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm a bit late so, Happy 5th and late happy 4th.

 
At July 05, 2005 10:51 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

Happy 4!, ok it's the 5th of july now. Well have a lot fun in November

 

Post a Comment

<< Home