Saturday, June 25, 2005

What's In A Name?

I just got this email from Catharine:

Hi,
Does it disturb you that our name means pure or virginal? I can't quite decide how I feel- it seems like a lot to live up to.
Take care,
Catharine


This is interesting to ponder. Until receiving this email I wasn't aware that that is what the name means. Apparently I've been trying to shake off that pure/virginal stigma for the last 5 or so years.

I'm not the only one, however. The sexual exploits of Catherine the Great are well documented. Katharine Hepburn had her famous affair with Spencer Tracy, among others.

On the other hand, we also have to contend with the likes of Saint Catherine of Siena, who is the patron saint of Italy and generally held to be the driving force that brought the Papacy back to Italy from France. And, of course, there is Saint Catherine of Alexandria; who was eventually martyred because she wouldn't marry/have sex with the Roman Emperor Maxentius.

As I'm not hoping to be martyred or canonized I guess I'll stick with the not-so-pure-or-virginal lot. It seems to be more fun and involves less beheading.

4 Comments:

At June 25, 2005 1:24 PM, Blogger junebee said...

So that's it! The name is probably why you have all those fears listed in the blog below.

Anyway, I wonder if people look up names prior to naming their babies. I did, I wanted to make sure there was nothing that other kids could use to tease my kids regarding their names.

 
At June 25, 2005 4:45 PM, Blogger SuperKate said...

I think that's probably why my parents picked my name. It's pretty safe. That, and it was in vogue when I was born. There were 5 Katies in my 2nd grade class.

 
At June 25, 2005 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a song lyric going "went to school with 27 Jennifers" the lyric then goes on to itemize their nicknames.

 
At June 25, 2005 7:25 PM, Blogger SuperKate said...

Is it anything like the "96 lines about 48 women" song? That always made me giggle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home