Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Missionary Style

EsotericWombat has gotten me thinking about SuperChristians and other varieties of fundamentalists. I don't understand them. It takes so much energy to believe something that fervently and blindly. I think I'm much too lazy to be bothered with it.

I suppose I like most religions on paper. It's the way people practice them that bothers me. I also kind of have a thing about people telling me what to think or do. Mostly my reaction is, "Fuck off or I'll smack you." I'm fond of saying "Believe what you want to believe, do what you want to do, so long as it doesn't impinge on anyone else's right to do the same."

I also wish people would actually read the scriptures they're so happy to force on everyone else. Jesus was a really cool guy, but I think he would run away screaming if he were to see what has been justified in his name. Mohammed wasn't a bad guy at all (although he did have a 9 year-old wife, which I find a little disturbing) and in fact recognized most of the major religions that came before him, whether it was Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, and even (gasp, shock, horror) Judaism. Neither Mohammed nor Jesus were violent people, I don't understand where all of the obnoxiousness comes from.

Mormons amuse me to no end. Except when they're ringing my doorbell, of course. I remember observing a group of them in Italy. In Italy for fuck's sake. There was a group of them on their "mission" or whatever they call it, riding up and down the coast trying to convert the Italians. I know some who "converted" just for the free English lessons.

In Malaysia, I went to a couple of Evangelical services with the friend that I was staying with (it was Christmas, and she was part of the pageant). I could've sworn that at any second they were going to bring out snakes. Everyone was doing that swaying thing with a hand in the air (it took me a couple seconds to understand they weren't all saluting Hitler). I wanted to run away screaming when we were all admonished to pray for a small tribe of people in rural Thailand who had recently been reached by Je-ye-sus. But I didn't think shouting, "Leave 'em alone!" would have made me a very popular person and I had no desire to be pummeled by 3,000 angry Christians.

I could go on and on, I suppose...

But I'll get off my soapbox now.

Have a lovely day.

7 Comments:

At April 05, 2005 7:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I tried to post again. I think you're right. Blogger hates me.

If you want to see uber-Christians, you should come around here. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a right wing conservative Christian. Although you do get the fun of swinging a dead cat. It can be amazingly fun, you should try it.

 
At April 05, 2005 8:07 PM, Blogger SuperKate said...

Dude, we've got Focus on the Family (or, as Lewis Black says, "Fuckus on the Family") in our backyard. They'ain't no shortage of fumdamentalismists 'roun here.

Ooooh! And my family knows one of the grand poobahs from Promise Keepers. I aggravated his wife to such an extent that I've been formally disinvited from their social gatherings. Mwahahahahaha!

Sometimes I love being a jackass.

 
At April 05, 2005 8:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You are my hero. I will lick your toes. In front of your fundies.

 
At April 05, 2005 8:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, and I got a blog up. You're right, sometimes you have to talk tough.

 
At April 06, 2005 2:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oddly enough I haven't met any SuperChristians here. Well, there is that mission across the street, but I don't talk to those people.

I have, however, met a Nazi here. Looked nothing like I'd have pictured

 
At April 06, 2005 1:25 PM, Blogger SuperKate said...

Sometimes they sneak up on you. I once knew a German Neo-Nazi named Mark. He was a strange boy, convinced that all of the world's problems could be solved if everyone took up farming. In an odd twist of fate he ended up rooming with another German kid who was a Jewish Communist. One would expect conflict, but they ended up being really good friends...

 
At April 06, 2005 2:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

wow... yeah, this guy claimed not to be a racist, but still said that he wanted to go back to Germany and somehow find solidarity as a white man

 

Post a Comment

<< Home